The Re-Imagine the Occupy Oakland General Assembly Working Group is coordinating a gathering (or series of gatherings) to “Re-Imagine the General Assembly." We envision that planning a conference of the scope takes a lot of work, and the work of this group is to plan the gathering(s).
The scope of this working group will likely include some or all of the following:
(1) Logistics of the gathering(s) (date, time, location, food, childcare, etc);
(2) Planning the gathering agenda(s);
(3) Working with other OO committees;
(4) Administrative work of the group (Web presence, announcements, etc)
(5) Outreach to the greater OO community."
To help you decide where to participate, here are descriptions of the Working Group or the Gatherings:
- Working Group: The Working Group will meet to plan the Gatherings, and will not be addressing specific changes to the GA, which will be done during the Gatherings. The working group will make regular reports to the community at the General Assembly, and meeting minutes will be available online. The Working Group meets every Friday from 6:00-8:00pm at the Holdout (2313 San Pablo Avenue, Oakland, CA 94612).
- The Gatherings. In these large events, anyone in the community can participate in bringing and incorporating our desires, ideas, and solutions, as together we create and design a re-imagined GA. This will likely be done in stages. Invitations to the Gatherings will be distributed widely. The first Gathering will be held on June 16. At any time, you can send your ideas, suggestions, desires to email@example.com.
The second gathering to Re-imagine the General Assembly will be held on Sunday, July 29, after the General Assembly, at 19th and Telegraph (approximately 3:30/4:00 to 6:00). The goal is to “get down to business” about concrete ways to improve the OOGA. Small group discussions will cover topics and concerns brought up by participants at this event, as well as those that came up in our survey responses and at the first gathering. Possible areas of discussion include what should happen at GAs; what kinds of facilitation do we want; … Continued
We have rescheduled the gathering to re-imagine the GA, originally planned for July 14. We are planning to have the next event to Re-Imagine the GA after an upcoming Sunday GA in late July. At this gathering we will look at concrete suggestions from the surveys and post-its and generate new ideas for the GA. We will post the date soon. We invite others to join our Working Group as we would like to be inclusive of as many perspectives as possible in our planning process. The Working Group to … Continued
The first Gathering to Re-Imagine the General Assembly is happening this Saturday 6/16 in the amphitheater of Mosswood Park from 1:00-6:00pm! Program: • Gather, Eat, Music • Review of Survey Results • Review Agenda and Shared Agreements • Brain Teaser • What are the Conditions that Create Collective Wisdom? Collective Folly? Pair and Share Activity • Facilitated Speak-Out • Collective Visioning for the future • Next Steps • After-party, art and reflection activities This first gathering was designed in response to the feedback we received from surveys, emails, and those … Continued
We are looking for a livestreamer for the 6/16 Re-Imagining the General Assembly event on Saturday, 6/16 at Mosswood Park from 1 to 5! If you are a streamer and plan to come, please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In anticipation of the first Re-Imagining the General Assembly gathering on 6/16 at Mosswood Park, here are some findings from our survey! People who’ve been involved in OO and been to the GA: Things people like: -community, camaraderie, the space to meet/talk with like-minded people and hear diversity of views -horizontal direct democratic process/not dominated by authority or superiority/all voices heard -smoking section -hearing about actions -open forum -people’s mic Issues/Concerns/Desired Changes: -need better attendance -broader community -white males and patriarchy can be unwelcoming/more POC leadership and participation -more respect … Continued
Join us for the first gathering to begin re-imagining the General Assembly on Saturday June 16 at Mosswood Park, starting with music and food at 1:00pm. Please fill out our survey to share you thoughts on the GA: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8YDSBC2 Please spread the word. The group planning this gathering meets on Fridays from 6 to 8 at Cafe Madrid, 2001 Broadway in Oakland. We welcome additional help with logistics, outreach and design planning.
The Re-Imagine the GA Working Group (the group planning the gathering to re-imagine the GA) will now be meeting from 6:00-8:00pm at Cafe Madrid at 2001 Broadway (at 20th) on Fridays starting 5/18. All are welcome to join us in organizing the re-imagining event/s.