The last couple of GA’s I have been to there has been an increase in RCP visibility. I find this disturbing for a couple of reasons. Yes I will give you a bulleted list because bullets are “revolutionary”.
- R.C.P.-Revolutionary Communist Party, USA. I am not sure why they insist on having the word “revolutionary” in their acronym. I suppose there must have been a non-revolutionary Communist Party at one point that was only concerned with having bake sales and organizing a bowling league.
- Maoist-The RCP is stated to be a Maoist organization. If you want me to explain what Maoism is I would refer to the wikipedia entry on maoism. I am simply not a very good communist so I wouldn’t presume to explain communism and it’s myriad factions. The Cliff notes is that they are a nationalist flavor of communism. Which in my humble opinion is a contradiction on a grand scale. They have the same flaws as other communist ideologies I am familiar with in that they hold that the bourgeoise are “bad” and the peasants are “good”. Their idea of a perfect world involves making the “bad” people more like the “good” ones. Pol Pot and teh Khmer Rouge are a great example of how well that doesn’t work out in practice.
- Vanguardist-It is the tactic of most all Communist movements to co-opt other movements. This is part of this crazy idea they have that they are in on “the truth” and the ordinary people haven’t heard the “good news” yet. So their movements must be infiltrated and brought around to a proper revolutionary direction. This is an explicitly stated tactic of RCP and I have personally seen the RCP attempt to co-opt many other movements.
- Anti-Authoritarian-For some odd reason they often attempt to infiltrate police brutality, anti-repression and other anti-authoritarian causes and groups. They have even founded a few such as the Oct.22nd Coalition. Of course this is the height of hypocrisy as China, Cuba and the former Soviet Union were/are all atrocious practitioners of state repression. This is like the butcher showing up at the PETA meeting. For real tho.
- Cult of Personality-RCP and pretty much all communist parties everywhere (that I am familiar with) are strongly hierarchical. So much so that they almost always evolve into what Leon Trotsky called, “Messianic Revolutionary Nationalism” where you have one guy, at the top, calling the shots, for decades. Mao, Stalin, Pol Pot, Castro etc. The RCP has been run by Bob Avakian for decades.
- Hella not Gay– The RCP was anti-gay pretty much from it’s inception. Their theory held that homosexuality was some kind of bourgeoisie indulgence, working class peasants aren’t gay! They backed away from this stance more recently, but it can not be ignored as something they did and said for decades.
- Anti-Anarchist-From the second international to the Spanish Civil War to protests/marches in the 90’s. Communist organizations have a boner for backstabbing Anarchists. Look it up.
Now some folks have pointed out that there have been RCP folks around since the days of the camp. That is great. I hope that communists and any other kind of collectivists remain involved and put at least as much effort into the positive works that we are all doing. However (a whole lot of fucking however!) they really got to back the fuck off on that shitty propaganda rag and the mealy mouthed RCP rhetoric. Occupy is not explicitly anarchist. It is organized around anarchist principles and practices such as being leaderless and requiring consensus on decisions. These are not things that the RCP will let stand if they had control over Occupy.
I am not saying we got to eject them from Occupy, but I will certainly urinate on their little card table of shitty magazines.
Power to the People.