Start Time: 7:37
Terms: FORUM is an open discussion centered around a topic that is affecting the group. COMMITTEE ANNOUNCEMENTS are updates and reminders by committee reps. GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS are open announcements under unspecified topics. PROPOSALS are items that are voted upon. ???? denotes sections that were unclear or confusing to transcribe. Italicized sections are my thoughts. All bullet points are essential points made by speakers.
INTRODUCTION: This is how consensus works. (explains and gives examples).
- Good Neighbor Policy Proposal: No one from this committee is here to present, so this proposal will be postponed.
2. Letter to the City Of Oakland: (paraphrased) We know that the city officials would like to communicate with us. They may express their concerns during the General Assembly. They will need to follow the process, and will be treated like anyone else in attendance.
- Clarifying Question: Does city council know what time the assemblies will begin?
- Answer: We don’t know.
- Con: You need to let them know when the assembly will begin.
- Response: Yes, we will.
- Con: We said we wouldn’t dialogue with the city. What is the implication of this action?
- Response: We need to respond, because we haven’t responded before. The need to do it according to our rules.
- Pro: This tells everyone how to get involved.
- Con: I like the idea politically, but I worry that the council will manipulate the process in their favor.
- Response: The council might try to bring in blocs of people to vote, but they won’t do that every night. We could start bringing in more people as well.
- Voting results: 90% YES. THIS PROPOSAL HAS PASSED.
3. March Against School Closures: OO should join the existing rally and march in opposition to school closures Oakland. On Wednesday, 10/26, a contingent from OO would: gather at 3:30pm , meet parent groups at Mosswood Park for a rally at 4:15 pm, and march to Oakland Tech High at 5:00 pm.
- Clarifying Question: When is everything occurring and where do we meet up?
- Answer: We meet here at 3:30, BART/BUS to Mosswood at 4:15, and march to Oakland Tech at 5:00. We meet at 14th and Broadway.
- Con: Oakland’s schools are too small – there aren’t enough students. Superintendent Smith has an overall plan for restructuring schools.
- Pro: We should support Oakland.
- Pro: Charter schools and privatization of schools are the problem. We should connect with this march because OO is against privatization and unchecked capitalism.
- Voting results: 96% YES. THIS PROPOSAL HAS PASSED.
- Facilitator’s Working Group: We are having workshops at 6pm on Mondays and Wednesdays.
- People of Color: Communication Workshop on Sunday, 2pm-4pm. Massage also offered on Monday, 2pm-4pm.
- Eviction Defense Committee: Have a plan in place for yourself when the police come (lock arms and make inside/outside circles, film officers, evac. plan, outside mobilization). Think about it before you sleep tonight. Further ideas – meet tonight after GA and tomorrow at the camper’s meeting.
- More announcements may have been given – I did not hear them.
- Coordinating Committee: involves members of all committees so that everyone can have clear lines of communication between groups.
AUTONOMOUS ACTION ANOUNCEMENTS
OCCUPY ANNOUNCEMENTS IN GENERAL
- Text blast servicing has been set up. Bayaction 41411.
- Just remember to keep calm – it may help to pray. Peace to all.
- Sunday: Between 12 noon and 1pm, OO will march to 18th and Adeline. Black Panther potluck at Bobby Hutton Park, on Sunday at 2.
- Outreach to Oakland City Workers: 3pm (day???)
- Investigation of crimes against children is a campaign that has been on-going. Please join.
- Campers of Snow Park have also received notices of “eviction” from the city. We all need to be aware.
Michael Moore coming to Occupy Oakland tomorrow!!!
Did you submit the notes that you took to a specific person, Desi? In the future, I suggest that you go ahead and upload them yourself. Otherwise, it will probably take a while to be posted online. You and I are currently the only ones posting notes online.
I uploaded them, and noted that I missed some parts. If you would like to add or amend, please make suggestions. I took notes by hand in the dark, and had others next to me who were talking. It was a bit difficult to multitask last night, because I didn’t have a laptop.
Hiya, I took notes last night but these are not those notes… There were many more committee announcements and a couple of autonomous actions… Who is uploading this?
Thanks for taking and transcribing notes. Really excited to see what looks like an efficient and effective GA last night.