Oakland General Assembly
Approximate Arrival Time: 7:30 pm
These are brief notes. Be aware that the minutes are very incomplete. I arrived late and when I arrived, not much had proceeded because a volatile confrontation occurred amongst members in the movement. A woman reported to me that “The Tree People” from the Vigil were threatening the body of the assembly to pass a finance proposal that had failed nearly a week prior. Another participant reported to me that there was a harsh exchange that occurred in the beginning of the GA. This conflict distracted most in attendance.
1. Temporary Reduction of GA’s For the Holidays: We would like to have the GA meet for twice a week on Mondays and Wednesdays until the end of the Holiday season. The regular schedule would resume January 8, 2012.
This proposal passed.
2.GA at the Oakland Police Department Downtown: We propose holding GA inside of the Police Department.
This proposal was tabled since there was no quorum. The proposers later announced that it would be an autonomous action.
- Thursday 6pm: Interoccupy discussion
- Saturday 12 noon: John Nady Demonstration – meet at the Grand Lake Theater and march to Piedmont to Nady’s home to protest vacation homes being built on sacred land at Rattlesnake Island.
- Ooplugins@gmail.com : if you want to get involved in community based actions, contact us! Tues – utility advocacy for tenants to have power; Wed- Holiday Turkey service; Sat/Sun – canvassing to stop triggers on the budget that would affect the poor and disabled.
- Continue to come here to this space, even if there is no GA or if it seems like no one else is showing up. We can do this!