Legal support is kindly provided by Occupy Legal, an excellent team of folks who have come together to support multiple occupations in the Bay Area. For more information, please visit www.OccupyLegal.info.
Our legal hotline is 415-285-1011. This number will be available to track arrests and deal with legal emergencies. We are trying to keep it staffed 24/7. If you are arrested or see arrests/incidences of police misconduct, please let us know!
About Occupy Legal
Occupy Legal is a collective of activists, lawyers, and legal workers dedicated to supporting economic justice and occupation encampments in the San Francisco Bay Area. Occupy Legal works to transform the demoralizing experience of arrest and incarceration into one an empowering one.
What We Will Do
- Train activists before the protests.
- Provide “Know Your Rights” information.
- Provide legal forms for affinity groups to use.
- Provide materials for documenting injuries and police misconduct.
- Staff a hotline at: 415.285.1011.
- Organize and dispatch legal observers when needed.
- Track people in jail to make sure everyone gets out.
- Provide emergency support to people who are having a crisis in jail.
- Help people who are not released from jail for any reason.
- Find lawyers to meet with and defend arrestees against criminal charges. We can usually find lawyers willing to work for free.
- Organize a meeting for arrestees.
- Maintain a website: http://occupylegal.info.
What We Can’t Do
- Handle bail/bonds: We can’t raise funds, arrange bail, or otherwise deal with money.
- Provide logistical support for people as they are released from jail (rides, food, medical/emotional support).
- Provide free representation after your first court appearance (most cases are resolved by then anyway).
- Make legal decisions for you. We will give information, but in the end, your actions are your own.