Hackathon II builds on the demos and tools from the first and turns our collaborative energy on visualizing the 5000+ responses to the OccupyResearch General Demographics and Participation Survey (ORGS), Occupy Oakland Serves the People Survey Results, and R-Shief Twitter #occupy tags aggregating since September 2011.
900 Alice Street, Oakland, CA 94607
3rd Rear Floor conference room (3R)
Between 9th and 10th St., Oakland’s Chinatown. Two blocks from Lake Merritt Bart, six blocks from Oscar Grant Plaza.
Saturday, March 24th 2012
10:00am to 6:00pm
RSVP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
What to bring
Everybody is welcome; you do not need to be a hacker to come to the hackathon. Bring ideas, or things you want to learn or teach.
Come by before the OO BBQ at Rainbow Park starts or stop by afterwards.
Check out some of the COOL things folks created at Hackathon I, like the metameme of the Pepper Spray Cop and comparison of mainstream media coverage of Occupy versus tweets about #OWS.
A mosaic image of the Pepper Spraying Cop was created, composed of many tiny remixed Pepper Spraying Cop images.
Comparison of surface area newspapers devoted to Occupy coverage to tweets of #OWS and #Occupy related hashtags over time. Results show that movement-created information distributed via Twitter is a more reliable, grassroots source of information than mainstream media.
WHAT: COINTELPRO Panel with Diane Fujimo and Gerald Sanders
WHEN: Saturday October 13th at 7:30pm
WHERE: The HoldOut – 2313 San Pablo Ave, Oakland CA
NOTE: Post originally created by WiseOldSnail and posted at: http://hellaoccupyoakland.org/calendar/cointelpro-panel-with-diane-fujimo-and-gerald-sanders/?utm_medium=twitter
From the Red Scare of 1919-1920 to the McCarthy period of the 1950′s to the COINTELPRO (Counter Intelligence Program) era of the 1960′s, the Federal Bureau of Investigation has operated primarily as America’s political police. With the recent alegations that long time activist and former Black Panther member Richard Ioki was an FBI informant it is imperative that militants become familiar with the History of COINTELPRO.”
Post created/copied by/from WiseOldSnail at:
There are lots of important reasons to protest at the CPUC, not only ‘Smart’ meters, but also Diablo Canyon’s nuclear power plant, massive toxic dumping by PG&E (remember Hinkley, Hunters Point, and many more), AT&T’s push to get rid of landlines (an accessibility issue), gasline explosions due to neglect, etc etc etc.
These issues are about environmental health, community defense, disability justice, and labor. The people who are most immediately impacted by the decisions of the CPUC are the workers forced to implement them.
For example, this former PG&E meter reader was fired for refusing to be silent about the fact that ‘Smart’ meters are a fire hazard, and lays out the financial reality that these meters are actually more expensive than meter readers, who were the only people working for the utility who regularly checked for gas leaks like the one that preceded the San Bruno explosion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnxIoItNUek
One of the victims who died in a fire caused by ‘Smart’ meters was Larry Nikkel, of Vacaville, a member of Stationary Engineers Local 39: http://stopsmartmeters.org/2013/06/21/when-smart-meters-kill-the-story-of-larry-nikkel-details-emerge-of-vacaville-ca-smart-meter-fire-death/
Please mobilize your friends and comrades to come out on Thursday – Peevey’s last day – and bring your friends and your own grievances against this supposed watchdog agency that acts more like a lapdog of the corporate utilities. Tell Peevey: Good Riddance!
PRESS CONFERENCE/ DEMONSTRATION AT CPUC IN SAN FRANCISCO OPPOSING “SMART” METER POLICIES AND GENERAL CORRUPTION
California Public Utilities Commission
Thursday, December 18 8:30 AM
Van Ness at McAllister, San Francisco
Give CPUC President Michael Peevey the send-off into retirement that he deserves after a dozen years of corruption and complicity with corporate utilities.
Protest the CPUC’s proposed decisions in the ‘smart’ meter opt out proceedings. Show strength in unity against their proposals that:
• Ignore serious public safety hazards including toxic injuries, fires, homelessness, violations of privacy, higher bills, loss of meter readers, and no promised energy savings.
• Continue to impose coercive extortion opt out fees
• Violate laws, and deny customer and disability rights
• Prohibit opt-outs for communities, apartment buildings, and businesses
• Reward utility companies with millions $$$ more for smart grid failings
Join us in demanding that the CPUC:
• Reject the proposed decisions
• Rescind and refund ‘opt out’ extortion fees
• Halt the ‘smart’ meter program
Bring any other past or present grievances against the CPUC (toxic dumping, nuclear plants, gas line explosions, accessibility, public power, etc.)
We will be raising our demands both outside before the meeting, as well as inside. Please come prepared to make some noise and be seen. Wear black if you can. Rain or shine.
For more information about the proposed decisions, go to these links:
The proposed decisions would (as summarized by the EMF Safety Network):
- Give 37 million dollars to the Investor Owned Utilities (PG&E, SCE, SDG&E, and So Cal Gas) for providing the opt-out program.
- Adopt permanent fees for residential customers who “do not wish to have a wireless smart meter.”
- Continue the same interim fees of $75 initial fee plus $10/month, and $10 initial fee plus $5/month for low income.
- Local governments and multi-unit dwellings may not collectively opt out of smart meter installations.
- Charging an opt-out fee does not violate the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- They will not address health and safety impacts in this decision.
- Assess fees on a per location basis, for example if you have two or more meters on your property, that will be one fee, per utility company.
- If you have two utilities, they can both charge you fees.
- President Peevey proposes putting a cap on the opt-out fees at 3 years.
- Neither proposal considers a no-fee option.
For more information contact Stop Smart Meters!: email@example.com
Ecological Options Network
EMF Safety Coalition
EMF Safety Network
No Nukes Action
Smart Meter Health Alert
Stop OC Smart Meters
Smart Meter Harm
Stop Smart Grid
Stop Smart Meters!
Stop Smart Meters Irvine
United Public Workers for Action
Wireless Radiation Alert Network
Google Maps directions, click on map:
PRIMER ANIVERSARIO DE…
ANTONIO GUZMAN LOPEZ
VEN Y COMPARTE CON NOSOTROS….
SABADO – FEBRERO 21, 2015
RAYMOND BERNAL PARK EN SAN JOSE
SOBRE LA 7TH Y HEDDING STREET.
2PM – 5PM
COMIDA, PINTADA DE ROSTROS, ARTESANIAS, Y VENTA DE CAMISETAS
TENEMOS UNA PRESENTACION ESPECIAL PARA JOSIAH Y ANGELIQUE
COMPARTA ACERCA DE COMO FUE ANTONIO Y ESCUCHE DE OTRAS FAMILIAS , EL IMPACTO DE NO TENER JUSTICIA EN NUESTAS COMUNIDADES.
TAMBIEN PONDREMOS AL DIA ACERCA DE JUSTICIA PARA JOSIAH
LEVANTANDO CONCIENSA PARA PROTEGER NUESTROS NIÑOS Y JOVENES!
UNIENDO FAMILIAS PARA QUE NUESTRAS VOCES SEAN ESCUCHADAS!
SI QUIERES AYUDAR O DONAR, POR FAVOR VISITANOS EN: WWW.FACEBOOK.COM/JUSTICE4JOSIAH