The East Bay Anarchist Bookfair will include conversations and books during the day. The main room of the hall will house booksellers, distributors, independent presses, and activist groups from all over North America but with an emphasis on the Bay Area and California
Humans In Between Homes (An Art Show on Homelessness)
The Firehouse Art Collective’s exhibition ‘Humans In Between Homes’ explores the humanity of individuals who live without permanent housing in the Bay Area.
The hope of this event is to make real, raw, visceral, and visible to housed society the experiences and humanity of the people who sleep on the street or are in between permanent places they call home.
Each of these human beings deserves to be appreciated as an individual, with a unique past, present, and future.
This exhibition will feature:
- -Artwork by artists without homes, who created their work at the Community Arts Program of Hospitality House in San Francisco. (These artists will keep 100% of the proceeds from any artwork sold.)
- -Artwork and photography, typography by the artists of the Firehouse Art Collective and by other local artists- thematically based on outreach interviews conducted on the streets of Oakland, Berkeley, and Emeryville.
- -A debut screening of a documentary made from raw footage of conversations with homeless individuals in the East Bay.
- -A tiny house (one effective solution to homelessness) on display
- -A live interactive map of evictions in San Francisco and Alameda County, courtesy of the SF Anti-Eviction Mapping Project, an affiliate of the SF Tenants’ Union
- -Representatives from community resources on how YOU can help homeless individuals
~ A portion of the proceeds from any artwork by housed artists that sells: goes to BOSS (Building Opportunities for Self-Sufficiency) of Berkeley, an organization that provides as many direct resources to homeless individuals as they can, and connects them to even more. A portion of proceeds from this art goes to fund the cost of rental space for the Art Show itself and the Dinner Party, and a portion goes to the food and clothing provided for our guests at the Dinner Party.~
Please bring many friends, canned food, donations of any other kind of food (prepared or otherwise), and your open heart and mind.
We will soon have a GoFundMe page to crowdfund these two projects! Please check back soon for the link to help us make this happen! Please share!
If you are interested in contributing art to this art show, please contact Ilana Sawyer at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
A Home for the Night: A Dinner Party for the East Bay’s Residents Without Addresses
Everyone deserves a hot meal and a safe space to rest and eat it.
To provide direct service to these individuals, about whose experiences we are expressing and raising awareness:
We are also opening up the Omni Ballroom for a few hours on Saturday, November 21st, to offer up a delicious dinner to street-dwellers and other people in between homes. The ballroom will be transformed into a Living Room with cozy furniture, gifts of clothing and hygiene supplies under festive lights, representation by community resources (booths), available art supplies for spontaneous self-expression, and live acoustic music.
Please note: for consumption of food, this event is only open to those in need.
If you are interested in volunteering at this event,
please contact Ilana Sawyer at email@example.com. Thanks!
We will soon have a GoFundMe page to crowdfund these two projects! Please check back soon for the link to help us make this happen! And please share!