Download Letter here: TAKE-ACTION_Oakland-Spy-Center
– – – – – – – – – Letter Starts Here ———-
I am writing to you about the Oakland Domain Awareness Center – coming up for a vote at the City Council meeting on Tuesday, February 18.
The Oakland Domain Awareness Center (DAC) is a $10.9MM surveillance hub for the Port and City of Oakland. It will integrate data from public and private cameras across the city, license plate readers that track where you go in your car, and other sensors into a mass surveillance system. Plans for the DAC include facial recognition and cameras aimed at our schoolchildren in Oakland public schools. Our data will be shared with fusion centers, law enforcement, and other government agencies and their private partners.
If you care about civil liberties, civil rights, and privacy, please read on…
What is the DAC?
Learn all about the Domain Awareness Center here:http://oaklandwiki.org/Domain_Awareness_Center
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is funding the Domain Awareness Center’s initial infrastructure. However, maintenance, upgrades, and 24/7 staffing of the surveillance center will all be billed to the taxpayers of Oakland. (Read “The Hidden Costs of Oakland’s Surveillance Center”http://www.eastbayexpress.com/oakland/controversial-the-hidden-costs-of-oaklands-surveillance-center/Content?oid=3816398&issue=3816384)
Surveillance does not reduce crime.
Many people might think surveillance will reduce crime, however studies show that video surveillance has little to no positive impact on crime. ACLU White Paper Surveillance Cameras:http://www.aclu.org/files/images/asset_upload_file708_35775.pdf
What can you do?
• Sign our petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/the-mayor-and-city-council-of-oakland-ca-don-t-sell-out-the-people-of-oakland-to-the-department-of-homeland-security-don-t-vote-to-fund-the-domain-awareness-center
• Contribute to our Spy Center Litigation fund:http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/spy-center-litigation
• Contact City Council: http://oaklandwiki.org/City_CouncilPlease email today – right now! Tell them to STOP THE DAC and reject Schneider Electric as a contractor.
• Join us on Tuesday night, February 18, at the City Council meeting:http://oaklandprivacy.wordpress.com/2014/02/05/february-18-city-council-meeting-stop-the-dac-and-schneider-electric/
Why we must act
DHS Domestic Surveillance Agency
Homeland Security grants are creating a new Domestic Surveillance Agency through funding their network of state & local fusion centers. We must stop this domestic surveillance aimed at the people of Oakland. (http://epic.org/privacy/surveillance/spotlight/0607/)
WE MUST ACT
“I resolved then that I would never forgive myself if I sat silently as a bystander while something like that place were being built around where I lived during my lifetime.” – Eddan Katz, January 28, 2014, Oakland City Council
This is something that we can make a difference on.
JOIN US – STOP THE DOMAIN AWARENESS CENTER!
Oakland Privacy Working Group:
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – Letter Ends Here – – – – – – – – – – – – – – -