Oakland General Assembly
Start Time: 6:00
Approximate Head Count: (Not sure)
From Livestream and Twitter – (These notes are not very detailed…this is just a gist of what was gleaned online)
WELCOME (Not sure)
FORUM (Not sure)
COMMITTEE ANNOUNCEMENTS (Not sure)
We have cultivated a modified consensus making process. (Explains)
Submit proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org, or submit in person on paper. Three or more people must endorse a proposal and be present during its presentation to the GA. This is how we run the GA (explains process, hand signals, vote count, etc).
- Finance Proposal Requesting Reimbursement to get Sound Truck Out of Impoundment - We propose budgeting to pay for the impoundment of the sound truck, rental fees, and processing fees: Approx. $700.
THIS HAS PASSED
- Proposal to Give Adequate Time For Clarification and Discussion of Proposals- We propose to create a greater space for dialogue by which proposals are discussed at the GA (more discussion, more time to amend proposals, more time for clarification). Proposals will be living documents and can be changed before voting.
- How is this different from the current process? – As it stands now, amendments can be offered only after the vote.
- When does the living document process stop (how many rounds of pros/cons/questions)? – The concept of consensus is to adjust until we all consent.
- Why are financial proposals excluded? – I didn’t hear the response.
- Would just the proposal maker make the amendments? – The proposers would accept. Anyone can make a suggestion.
- We do the same thing in Seattle. The only complication is that the proposer isn’t sure about whether or not to accept an amendment.
- I like this because it will let us cut to the chase if there are just one or two words to change in the proposal.
- People will be confused if we change it too much.
- It will make the process longer.
THIS HAS NOT PASSED
THIS IS OPEN TO FRIENDLY AMENDMENTS
NO: (Not sure)
ABSTAINED: (Not sure)
- Have people present their proposal ideas in a forum setting.
- Maybe the amendments could be added if it’s just related to time conflicts or wording, not to the entire content of the proposal.
Proposal to Give Adequate Time For Clarification and Discussion of Proposals- We propose to create a greater space for dialogue by which proposals are discussed at the GA (more discussion, more time to amend proposals, more time for clarification). Proposals will be living documents and can be changed with minor amendments before voting.
87% PERCENT APPROVAL: THIS HAS BEEN TABLED
- Local Business - We propose that the GA support “Buy Local Week.”: Withdrawn
F: Temperature Check: The vote count is pretty low compared to the number of people we have tonight. How many of us would like to hear more proposals? Quorum depends on how many we have at the meeting – we have quorum, but we don’t have enough people voting. I am going to use my discretion as a facilitator and stop the proposals now. We will revisit this on Sunday.
TABLED BY FACILITATOR
- 4. Oscar Grant March – Action proposal
- 5. Resolution to call for disclosure from City of Oakland of Police Militarization – (TBA)
- 6. Finance for Posters for the Shut Down – We propose budgeting for materials (posters and flyers) for the West Coast Shut Down: Approx. $600
- Wed. Nov 30: Student led action regarding their needs. The target is Chevron (17th and Castro) – students are asking for money to be donated to education.
- Rasta’s arraignment is Monday at 2pm. Please support!
- I’m here from LA – you guys are really inspiring. Don’t give up! I encourage you to consider educational reform in future actions.