Arrival: 8:01 (I may have missed some parts that occurred earlier)
Terms: FORUM is an open discussion centered around a topic that is affecting the group. COMMITTEE ANNOUNCEMENTS are updates and reminders by committee reps. GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS are open announcements under unspecified topics. ACTION ANNOUNCEMENTS are new to this evening’s meeting; I am not sure of what they are. PROPOSALS are items that are voted upon. ???? denotes sections that were unclear or confusing to transcribe. Italicized sections are my thoughts. All bullet points are essential points made by speakers.
FORUM: What are ways that OO can be used to positively influence conditions in Oakland?
- It’s anticapitalist! “An injury to one is an injury to all!” Long live the OO movement. More power to the people. (lots of applause)
- How do we outreach to Oakland: We need to solidify our demands. I think we need to focus on those so we can come together. There was a political organization meeting about Oakland Schools – we did it during school hours and we need to make it more accessible. We need to stop gang injuntions. We need to stop foreclosures. Overall, it needs to be accessible to the 99% of Oakland.
- It’s going to get cold. Are you ready? We are going to have a birth! We have a children’s facility – among the first in the nation to do this. Is there any romance?
- I’ve been working to preserve public services and public education. I’m hearing a lot of comments about how we can mobilize this energy. Here is something we can do (we may propose this on Thursday): 11/9, 11/10 Board of Ed and Community College Board will meet. 11/15- 11/7 Regents will vote on budget decisions. 11/16th Cal State Long Beach, UC SF. We want to shut those down.
- This space need to be cop free. We need to be against curfews and gang injunctions. Maybe we need to occupy buildings too! Free clinic for Oakland!
- COPS ARE AT SNOW PARK. WE NEED PEOPLE TO GO OVER THERE AND BE PEACEFUL. (19th and Harrison) (Point of Process : is this an action that is a proposal? Should this be voted on?)
- Don’t cat-call please. I’m here for the people. Keep each other in check, don’t let each other cat-call each other. (other comments…not sure???)
- We had the first meeting regarding…???
- Night watch committee is here. This is what you need to do if you hear an alarm (gave directions). Last night, cops came to the plaza because there was a medical call. We need to be able to tell the difference between a regular altercation and an emergency. Meet at the flagpole at 11:00 for shift-sign up.
- The working committee is trying to raise revenue to maintain the park. We are thinking of: online store, cooperatives, etc.
- Media Committee: We need video content with up to the minute information. We are running on pedal power so please help us out. We want to communicate with other groups.
GENERAL ANNOUNCEMENTS/ACTION ANNOUNCEMENTS
- This is a political statement. Little kids running around troubles me. Cops can show up at any time.
- We need conflict resolution. We have non-violent communication training. We’ll do it at 1pm daily. If you want training, come on down.
- We are going to Snow park now if you’d like to leave. (8:29)
- They (the cops) are intimidating people. Campers are negotiating with the police. They can’t get anything done. They need help.
- I was evicted from my apartment without notice. I have demands and I am staging a demonstration. Give your support if interested.
- I think as a collective, we are messing up. We aren’t protesting as hard as we should. What if the police came now? Are we prepared to defend or escape? People are partying, conversing, and barbecuing. We are meeting regarding demands. We need to decide what we are going to do. Let’s meet right now.
- REPORT BACK: I think there is a fight. There is someone who is fighting with everyone.
- “We offer our support for all those who are striking. We wish to send a message that if you are fighting back, then we got your back!” We want to send this message out to work places.
- I think we should close off the meeting because there isn’t a quorum. We need to postpone this til tomorrow. (applause)
Approximately 8:45 pm. Post any changes, comments, or feedback.